Welcome to Stephens Labs!
R&D and prototyping
As an R&D and rapid-prototyping company, we work with clients to help define systems and deliverables, and provide end-to-end development. In particular, we specialize in:
- Customized navigation, geolocation, and RTLS solutions
- Telecommunication systems design, analysis, and simulation
- Definition of complex algorithms, their analysis and software embodiment
These solutions are developed as part of a full system design process:
- Product requirements definition and flowdown to engineering requirements
- Design subsystem components via analysis and performance/cost tradeoffs
- Provide project management on digital/RF subsystem design and development
- Develop product software
- Provide integration and test, including field deployment and follow-on spiral development
Our core competencies include
- Estimation: Kalman, sigma-point, SRIF, and particle filters
- Control systems: phase-locked loops, and other controller feedback
- Info theory: channel coding and modulation evaluation and optimization; BEP analysis.
- Communication: phy/link/mac layer design; channel mitigation
- RF and optical propagation, including multipath/diffraction, media (dielectric/atmospherics including ion/solar plasma), and antenna/fiber channels.
- Sensors: inertial (acc, gyro), mag, laser scanning, optical/visual systems
- Subsystems: GPS and RFID
- Physical systems: vehicle dynamics, satellite orbits, surface physics sensors
- Analysis and simulation
- Analysis via custom tools, Matlab, SPW.
- End-to-end development
- Systems engineering flowdown, cost trades, and project management
- Proposal drafts: DOD/DARPA, SBIRs, secret/SBI clearances (reinstatable)
- Integration and test of complex systems
- Software systems (linux/android, java/C/C++/C#)
For more information on these techniques, please follow sidebar on left.
Past customers and projects
Past customers/projects include:
- NASA/JPL: deep space receiver design (phy/link layers: acq, tracking algorithms)
- TRW/NG: geolocation from MEO satellite constellation; satellite broadcast radio
- Motorola: satellite and terrestrial communication systems
- John Deere: Navigation for robotic systems, including GPS-denied areas, synthetic-aperture radar mapping and location, and fusing multiple sensors in deliverable software for commerical/military products
- RFID location using multiple receive points and both phase-coherent beamforming and RSSI
For more examples of past projects, please follow sidebar on left.